The District provides a custom service to producers with irrigation. This service will help you manage your water appropriation saving you time and money. The service is a tool to help you decide when and how much to irrigate which is important to conserve and protect our sensitive ground water aquifers.
When should I irrigate? How much should I irrigate?
Pope SWCD offers:
- Weekly field soil moisture checks
- Weekly updates with graphs suggesting when and how much to irrigate
- Uniformity tests (Additional charge for this service as needed)
- Maximize irrigation efficiencies and maximize yields
- Conserve groundwater resources
- Save money and time
- Prevent under-irrigation and reduced yields
- Prevent irrigating at the wrong time causing stunted root growth and decreased opportunity for rainfall storage
- Loss of important nutrients which are
expensive and can cause contamination to groundwater
WEEKLY FIELD TESTING FOR SOIL MOISTURE
A SWCD Technician will visit each field each week to collect a soil sample in the root zone of the plant using a soil probe or spade. This information sampled will be entered into the computer program to estimate if adequate soil moisture is present for the crop at the current
$250.00 for the first field
$175.00 for each additional field
Includes all scheduling services, rain gauge, and rain gauge installation at each field.
- 20-35% savings in water, energy, pesticide, and fertilizer.
- Increase yield by timely application of water during sensitive growth stages.
- Decreased leaching of nutrients and chemicals into groundwater.
COST SHARE ASSISTANCE
Irrigation Management is an approved practice under the Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP). Landowners should inquire with NRCS/SWCD staff to learn more and determine if they are eligible for this program.